Sunday, February 21, 2010

Twenty Six Going on Eighty

In case there was any confusion on the matter, I would like to clarify that I am not in college anymore. While this may seem like a rather obvious fact, I was reminded of this during a recent journey to visit some old friends. Pulling an all nighter in college seemed to be both a frequent and effortless endeavor. Fast forward a mere three and a half years and this same feat is met with fatigue, crankiness and general discomfort. That’s right everyone…we are all getting older. Some function perfectly on just a few hours of sleep but when I try to pull this kind of prank, my body revolts and decides to greet me with some sort of cold, sinus infection or in the worst cases - the flu. Apparently, the same goes for not properly hydrating, eating irregular and strange meals and consuming more than one glass of wine. Those crazy college kids may be able to eat a whole pizza at two in the morning but I’m pretty sure my arsenal of home remedies including Tums, Pepto Bismol and Rolaids would argue that this is in fact not the best plan of action. I suppose I should step into the elderly mindset of this post and use the phrase “back in the day” to refer to the exploratory time known as college. The late nights, heavy meals and constant on-the-go attitude never seemed to catch up with any of us. Let's just say that nostalgically trying to replicate the good old days would be ill advised. So, let us all set our early morning alarm clocks, take a daily multi-vitamin and gear up our bodies for the work week. Emergen-C packets are my personal recommendation…oh, and not acting like a nineteen year old. Hope everyone survives the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment