Monday, February 1, 2010

Asheville, Land of the Free

As a firm believer in always having a string of plans lined up, I have decided that this coming weekend shall mark a retreat to my former mountain home. That’s right, Asheville. For those who have not ventured there, I must tell you that it is hard to find a place as comfortable. I first traveled there for an Interpol concert back in college and it was from that moment that I knew I would eventually become a transplant resident. While it is impossible to avoid any town’s occasional jerky individual, I have to say that the percentage in Asheville seemed to be alarmingly, and might I add pleasantly small. It is not uncommon to start a random conversation on the street or to just see someone really just feeling free and in the moment. In fact, the blistering hot weekend my family helped me move down south will forever house a fond and extremely special memory for my parents and sister. I had gone into a job fair for The Biltmore Estate and as it was really too hot to sit around, my family decided to stroll around Pack Square while waiting for me to finish up. I can only imagine that they saw folks of many different shapes, sizes and attitudes enjoying the toasty summer sun. As the story goes, they were soon greeted by a middle aged woman strolling up the sidewalk in a beautiful flowing skirt. It was also at that time that a strong breeze crept up on her and to avoid vivid detail; my family was thrown into the “free spirited” world that surrounds many of Asheville’s finest. I cannot say that I was extremely upset about missing out on this encounter but you have to love it- never a dull moment. While the weather will be much chillier, I do promise to report back on any visual gems I stumble upon this weekend.

1 comment: