Monday, February 22, 2010

Dating Show Frenzy

Can someone please tell me what it is about dating shows that seem to suck away all common sense and solid decision making ability? I mean really, I forget tasks for the evening and find myself engrossed in marathon showings of these highly predictable, scripted train wrecks. Growing up with about four or occasionally five TV stations, I got used to the stellar UPN lineup consisting old favorites like Blind Date and Elimidate. Let’s be honest, you have probably seen these at least once. And even if you acted like you hated it the whole time- you know who you are- there is just a natural human sense of curiosity that takes over. Dating can be pretty daunting so why not just watch other people flounder around trying? There is always some sort of scandal, some outrageous single willing to say or do pretty much about anything so while most of the guesswork is out of the equation, we all still end up tuning in. Take The Bachelor. It’s a pretty bold move to block off a two hour chunk every week but as there have been at least ten seasons and counting, it’s obvious that someone is watching. I'm as guilty as the next person- I mean I form opinions, pick favorites and defend individuals like I have known them a whole lifetime. As if being kicked off one of these shows is not enough, they have a reunion of all the rejected ladies so they can sit around and relive painful memories. Is this supposed to make us feel better about the hard times in life? Well, it does secretly make me feel grateful that I’m not out embarrassing myself and my family in hopes of awkwardly gaining some stranger’s approval. I know this making my Mom proud but I will continue to tune in because let’s face it- we want to know who Jake chooses.

No comments:

Post a Comment