Thursday, February 4, 2010

That Crazy White Stuff

As someone who grew up in Baltimore, it was understood that I would encounter the occasional snow storm. Moving down to North Carolina, I was shocked and somewhat astonished to find that those in the South do not tend to handle this concept as smoothly. Take for example the gallons of salt that are poured onto the highway three days before a predicated snow storm. Some would consider this a necessary safety precaution but to many of those dwelling in the Raleigh area, this equates to three whole days to prepare for doomsday. The usual trip to the grocery store is met with panicked faces jabbing with elbows and polite smiles as we all make our way over to the bread section- which, at this time is usually almost completely empty. Events for the week after any dreaded snowfall are put on hold “just in case,” and many admit to stocking up like they are preparing for a nuclear meltdown. Personally, I prefer to just sit back with some movies and delicious toasty beverages. My feelings during the snowfall last weekend were that canceling any plans in lieu of an all day pajama lounge-fest ended up being a nice turn of events. Now that we have survived our first 2010 snowfall, I find myself more annoyed than anything when I see those flakes on the pages of weather.com. Sadly, this weekend could be Asheville-free and another point for Mother Nature. Toasty beverages anyone?

1 comment:

  1. I'm enjoying a nice adult beverage while be snowed in right now, just for you! :)

    ReplyDelete