Monday, February 15, 2010

Oh Canada

Maybe it’s just me, but does it seem like the summer Olympics get a boatload more coverage than the winter games? It could be that I seem to be busier in the winter, or maybe I just don’t have the same stalker-like tendencies when Baltimore’s own Michael Phelps is not sweeping up the Gold medals. For whatever reason, there seems to be a greater opening ceremony countdown when the warmer months roll around. Over the past few years, I have noticed that the location of these games seems to be directly linked to the public’s excitement level. When I think of Canada, my initial thoughts are of Celine Dion and the smog that graced the East Coast more than a decade ago. Without sounding like I am carrying some sort of strange grudge, let me state that I have nothing against this beautiful place and will simply say that my knowledge of Canada is limited. I do know that they have more liberal rules on same-sex marriage, the legal drinking age, and the fashion guidelines of a policeman on horseback. Not to downplay any of this, or the breathtaking scenery but there just seems to be something missing. I don’t think I’m alone in my age group when I say that the details of the Olympics this year fell pretty low on everyone’s radar. I will say that with the exception of a few guilty pleasure shows, I do not consider myself a television addict. I am however an avid reader of various online news sites and in previous years it seemed that there was some sort of elaborate Olympic preview getting everyone geared up for the competition. The bottom line is, I hope this is just a case of me being tuned out to the latest sporting news and that these athletes are getting the recognition and praise they deserve. Canada, my non home and native land, I am sure you are being a fine host. However, it is obvious that this viewer will need a bit more warning for the next few televised lineups.

No comments:

Post a Comment