Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Opposite Attraction

While some people tend to attract friends that could be carbon copies of themselves, relationships formed in childhood will remind you that you can attend different colleges and determine drastically alternate hobbies without drifting apart. Take for example one of my best friends who happens to be celebrating a birthday today. When it came to guys, she preferred jocks while I tended to gravitate more towards artists and performers…well, I guess some things never change. I would break into a cold sweat when she demanded I don Lily Pulitzer at her future wedding while I threatened her with organic cottons and earth tones. We swapped clothes throughout middle and high school but when college rolled around, we found each other admiring each others styles with a polite and sincere “that looks like you.” While I can be more of a homebody, I turn to her for the exciting nightlife plans and happening places to spend my time home in Baltimore. In times of conflict, she comes to me for a calm and usually brutally honest dose of advice. While a stranger may not pick us out in a crowd as being close, I advise you to not let her contrasting love for polka dots and pink throw you off for childhood friends maintain some of the strongest bonds out there. So while I will not be clearing off my Ipod for any of her country music, I do hold this friendship in high regards and hope that everyone out there takes a moment or two to think of their old time buddies. Here’s to seeing eye to eye on the important aspects of life, and a cheers to many more years to come.

1 comment: