Thursday, April 8, 2010

Meat Free

Delicious, juicy hamburgers. Mouth watering chicken cutlets. Steak. Why on earth would a former meat eater want to give such delicacies up? I can tell you that while I appreciate other’s desires for such culinary delights, the intense fear of self-inflicted food poisoning combined with the lack of enthusiasm over meat dishes as a whole turned me vegetarian. Oh, that and the fact that one fateful afternoon I decided to watch a video on meat processing. So, that pretty much sums up why I stick to consuming creatures of the sea. This may seem confusing to some as yes, they are still considered animals but let me just say that while I loved the movie The Little Mermaid as a child, I have no qualms about eating flounder or a crustacean treat. This may seem like selective carnivorous behavior but I admit I am pretty set in my ways. I never liked meat enough to consume something I could snuggle with. Can you share a tender embrace with a piece of pre-sushi whitefish? Not exactly. While choosing to forgo the popular menu items of today’s world such as Big Macs has been a rather easy decision, it has not gone without some backlash. Take for example the pictures of raw meat that mysteriously appear around my work cubicle when I return from vacation. Or perhaps the endless jokes from my roommate about leaving hamburger meat “accidentally” on top of my vegetables and other perishables in the fridge. While yes, all harmless and in good fun, vegetarians of today must be equipped with a thick skin and the daily craving for greens. Let me also add that if anyone is ever looking for a companion for sushi by all means, count me IN.

No comments:

Post a Comment